South Berwick Public Library Internet Use & Safety Policy
The South Berwick Public Library is dedicated to providing free access to information, educational materials, and entertainment to all who enter. We offer electronic information networks as an essential component of our mission.
The Internet is an unregulated entity and the library cannot control the material available on it nor is the library responsible for the content, quality, accuracy, or currency of any information found on the Internet. All users are expected to use electronic information networks in a responsible and ethical manner. They should exercise good judgment in accessing sites as they are not always secure and they may encounter sites that are disturbing, offensive, or illegal.
In accordance with federal statutes of the Child Internet Protection Act our computers are equipped with a filter by our service provider, the Maine School and Library Network. The purpose of the content filter is to prohibit access by to materials deemed obscene or otherwise harmful to minors, and to child pornography. Adults over 18 may ask a staff member to remove the block for legal adult material.
Library staff have various levels of training on the Internet and other electronic devices and will assist users as time allows.
- Users must sign in at the desk to use a computer station.
- Computer time is limited to ½ hour. After that time is up, you may remain on the computer until another person requests the service. Computers are available up until 15 minutes prior to closing.
- Parents are responsible for establishing and enforcing family computer use guidelines for their minor children. Parents should discuss computer use and safety on the Internet with their children including inappropriate contact, conduct, and content, especially when using email, chat, social media, or other forms of direct electronic communication.” Adults must accompany children under 7 years old when they use the workstations. Children 13 and under must use the Children’s Area computers unless they are accompanied by a parent.
Restrictions include but are not limited to the following:
- Users may not use electronic information networks to harass others.
- Users may not alter library hardware and software by any means.
- Users may not violate copyright laws or software licensing agreements.
- Users may not use, install or download material to the hard drive of library computers.
- Users will not display or print material not appropriate to a public setting.
- Users may not disclose, use, or disseminate the personal information of a minor without express authorization from the parents or guardians of the minor.
- Users may not engage in unauthorized access such as “hacking”, or other illegal activities.
- Use of the electronic information networks may not violate any Federal or State law.
- Printing charges are .10 per page (b & w) .25 per page (color).
Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in revocation of computer workstation and wireless access privileges at this library, and may also have legal consequences. Patrons wishing to appeal loss of privileges may contact the Library Advisory Board.
Approved Library Advisory Board Town of South Berwick 10/23/2020