For the duration of the Covid-19 Health Emergency, the library visitor behavior policy has been expanded to include a Pandemic Visitor Behavior Addendum* as follows:
The South Berwick Public Library asks all library visitors to be considerate in using the shared space of the library building and grounds. The South Berwick Library Advisory Board has endorsed the following guidelines to maintain a safe and enjoyable atmosphere.
- No running
- Proper attire includes shirts and shoes (pants go without saying!)
- Quiet areas must be respected
- Food is restricted to a designated area in the library and drinks must have covers.
- Persons may not engage in behavior that is illegal or infringes on the comfortable and safe use of the library by others, disrupts the operations of the library and/or monopolizes the time of the staff.
- Parents are responsible for the behavior of their children.
- Unattended children must be self-sufficient. If not, the parent or caregiver will be located and failing that, local police will be contacted.
- Everyone must obey all rules about computer use including the Internet use policy, signing in, and time limits.
- Animals may not be brought into the building except for certified service animals, service animals being trained by a certified trainer, and animals approved for a library program.
- Soliciting and petitioning are not allowed.
- Smoking, open flames, and alcohol are not allowed.
Persons who ignore staff requests to comply with these guidelines may be asked to leave the property. Persons who repeatedly violate this policy or pose a threat to the comfort and safety of others may have their library privileges restricted or suspended. Appeals to a restriction may be made to the Library Advisory Board.
Approved 4/2018 by the Library Advisory Board
*Pandemic Visitor Behavior Policy Addendum
In order to keep staff and public safe:
- Don’t come to the library if you feel sick or have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Face coverings are required for staff and visitor safety (and per Governor’s order). Persons unable to wear a mask may call and make special arrangements.
- Limit of 8 visitors total inside the building based on sq. footage. Those who do not wear a face covering will be limited to curbside service, subject to availability of staff.
- Maintain 6 feet physical distance in all areas of the library.
- No food or drink, including closed containers.
- Visitors are discouraged from handling materials in the library that they are not borrowing. Items handled must be placed in a quarantine box for 72 hours.
- Children must be under control at all times. Children who are unable to follow Covid-19 procedures must be within arm distance away from their caregiver.
- Follow library safety procedures and instructions.
While we are following the state reopening safety guidelines, visitors should be aware that there is some risk inherent in using shared spaces with shared materials. We cannot guarantee a perfectly safe space.
Reviewed by Library Advisory Board 6/16/2020